(not satire – it’s the coalition)
Some of the mainstream press have been reporting that an adviser to Ed Miliband has defected from Labour to the Liberal Democrats.
What they don’t mention is that Phil Taylor was already a Liberal Democrat from as far back as the 1990s when he worked as Parliamentary Assistant to Lib Dem MP Simon Hughes – now deputy leader of the Lib Dems as well as Minister of State for Justice and Civil Liberties in the coalition government.
It’s true that later on Taylor did work as an adviser to Labour MPs Peter Hain and Ben Bradshaw – as well as an adviser to Ed Miliband – and according to Peter Hain’s autobiography Taylor was also one of the main figures pushing for a Labour/Lib Dem deal in the days after the last general election.
Hain bumped into Vaizey at a Chelsea match – and Vaizey had this extraordinary thing to say about the negotiations which were going on at the time between the Lib Dems and the Tories on forming the coalition:
“We are going to scr*w over the Liberals“
All of these things raise a few questions in my mind:
- What was a Lib Dem doing working as an adviser to Labour MPs – and the Labour leader?
- How come Hain didn’t reveal what Vaizey said to him at the time?
- Was it because he didn’t want to scupper a Lib Dem/Tory coalition deal?
- Why would he do that?
- If – as it seems – everyone in Westminster knew that the Tories were openly boasting about scr*wing over the Lib Dems in the coalition, why didn’t Nick Clegg know?
- Or did Clegg know his party was going to be scr*wed over by the Tories but he was so keen on getting a ministerial chauffeur-driven car – he didn’t care?
Here’s the extract from Hain’s book with Vaizey’s quote in context:
What do you think?
Please feel free to comment. And share. Thanks.
You can order Hain’s book ‘Outside In’ from Amazon here.