(not satire – it’s the UK today!)
The problems are entirely due to the government’s crackdown on so-called ‘benefit scroungers’ and the resulting ‘reforms’ to sickness and unemployment benefits.
Macmillan found that since the government’s changes to the welfare system:
- 2 in 5 cancer patients now can’t afford to heat their homes adequately
- 2 in 3 cancer patients are now waiting at least 6 months for financial help
- 1 in 5 cancer patients are now waiting at least 9 months for financial help
- 1 in 4 cancer patients have difficulties attending their hospital appointments for financial reasons
- Over half (56%) of cancer patients now experience financial worries
So when you hear government ministers or the right-wing press going on about ‘benefit scroungers‘ – what they really mean is ‘cancer patients‘.
If the definition of a civilised society is how well it looks after its weakest members, I think it’s now safe to say the UK is no longer a civilised society.
You can read Macmillan’s report here:
For financial support visit www.macmillan.org.uk/financialsupport to find your nearest face-to-face benefits adviser, or call Macmillan free on 0808 808 00 00.
Related articles by Tom Pride:
Please feel free to comment. And please share. Thanks: