(satire – or is it?)
As loons – especially swivel-eyed ones – are in the news at the moment, I thought I’d give you some interesting facts – completely true I promise you – about the habitat and breeding habits of the bird known as the Common Loon.
- Loons are extremely territorial and will aggressively defend their territory sometimes to the death.
- Common Loons often make wailing or moaning noises but can yodel when defending their territory.
- Most Loons have grey heads and white bellies.
- Loons are slow to take off but once they get going their considerable stamina means they can fly for considerable distances.
- Loons prefer to build their nests on small islands surrounded by water where they are completely cut off from other inhabitants.
- The word ‘Loon’ comes from the Old Norse word lōmr, which means ‘to moan’.
Looks like Cameron’s mate was more spot-on than he realised when he described Tory activists as loons.
Related articles by Tom Pride:
Please feel free to comment – you don’t need to register and I’m extremely minimal with the moderating – so please go ahead.
By the way, if you click on any of these buttons below, you’ll be doing me a favour by sharing this article with other people. Thanks: